Did Your Dog Eat Something Nasty on their Dog Walk?

Did Your Dog Eat Something Nasty on their Dog Walk?

Dogs are always sniffing around in the grass, after all most of their outside information on the world is obtained through scent.  They keep apprised current happenings in their world through the info obtained from their sniffing around.  But, of course they’re not just sniffing around for news updates…they’re also looking for delicious morsels dropped on the ground.


On the Lookout for Tasty Tidbits

As dog walker I’m always on high alert watching out for things the dogs may find appetizing. On the rare occasion, if they’re faster than me, I’ve had to pull things out of their mouths.  Garbage days can be really tricky as temptation is lurking every where for the dogs.  Sometimes I wish I didn’t have so closely examine what it is  they’ve tried to consume as it can be pretty darn gross!

They Ate What?

As the cleaner up of what they’ve previously eaten I’ve seen some interesting things come out  such as hair scunchies, socks, crayons, Happycoins, paper towels, tinsel, elastics, string, bits and pieces of toys and magic reindeer food (which is really bird seed – but that’s a whole other story).  It’s not good that the dogs ate these things in the first place, but is good that they didn’t cause a blockage and luckily they weren’t toxic and didn’t poison the dog.

What Do You Do If They Eat Something Before You Can Stop Them?

First of all try to determine what it was they ate.  Your concerns are 1) was it poisonous and 2) will it cause a blockage.

If you’re able and your dog isn’t in immediate distress take a photo of what they ate if there’s any of it left.  For example, if you think your dog ate a wild mushroom, take a photo of the remaining mushrooms so you can email it to your vet.  If it was a pile of granular type substance (very carefully, without letting it touch your skin) collect some in a clean poop bag that you can bring in for your vet to see).  Make sure you note the time that you dog ate whatever it was.



If your dog has consumed something solid such as a toy or bones, your vet may advise you to bring the dog in for an xray.  They can then determine what the appropriate steps are; sometimes they’ll induce vomiting, or they may be able to remove the object though endoscopy, which is a less invasive and less risky method than surgery.  However, there are times when a surgical procedure may be deemed necessary.

scooby lickingt


Some Signs That Your Dog May Have a Blockage:

  • Vomiting
  • Bloating and abdominal pain
  • Listless
  • Loss of appetite
  • Bloody, or tarry looking stools
  • Straining to have a bowel movement
  • Smaller bowel movements than normal


If you’re concerned that the substance may be toxic – I would advise you to contact your vet right away as they may want to induce vomiting, treat them with medications or feed them pet activated charcoal to reverse or neutralize the toxin.

Some Signs That Your Dog May Have Ingested Something Toxic Are:

  • Lethargyscooby sick
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Tender abdomen
  • Staggering or appearing disoriented
  • Their gums may be pale
  • Loss of appetite

Here’s a good website to check out!  Pet Poison HelpLine  www.petpoisonhelpline.com they are open 24 hours a day and can be reached at 1-800-213-6680.  Please note that there is a fee charged per incident but it does cover the initial consultation as well as follow-up calls.

Their website is a great resource center and I recommend that you check it out!

Hopefully with the right steps taken your dog will feel as good as new in no time!



Comments are closed.